__



Wednesday 30 November 2005

The Waiting is Over

Okay. So I've given it enough time to think about, and here it is. I think it's a classic. A classic in the sense that like everything I like, it had me wondering - in this case worrying - about whether or not I would like it, and like everything I like the most, it digs deeper each time I hear it.

I must qualify this by admitting that there are about thirty seconds scattered over a couple of songs that I don't care for. I understand why she put/left them there, however. For those who compare all of her work to Hounds of Love, waiting in vain for another extension of that - whatever that would/should be - I say: It ain't gonna happen. This album is magnificent in that it is an extension of everything that's come before it, and hence a further development of a great modern artist. I love the piano, the silences, the voice, the songs, and can look forward to discovering more within all of these, somewhere in between...