__



Wednesday 8 September 2010

The Messiah of Evil Release

Embedded below is the second part of a documentary that has been included the 2009 DVD release by Code Red. And though the film has been in the public domain and free to download for a while now, I have to say that the visual quality that I can see here is pretty remarkable and worth the purchase if you like the picture. Most crucially, though, is that for the first time on video it has the original 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

The set design, in particular the original paintings, is not the only thing that sets this film apart from others of the genre but it's what I talk about most when I mention Messiah of Evil: atmosphere as character.

It's exciting to hear things about a film I thought I'd never know much more about. And the connections that this production had to others that I like - not coincidently because of the studio shake-up alluded to in the documentary - are extensive. Of course, we were a smaller population back then. From Eraserhead, through Pee Wee's Big Adventure, to The Warriors, they are to my taste amongst the best company in terms of overall style and artistic achievement.

Something else Willard Huyck says in this clip is to me a clear indication of just what went wrong with Tim Burton later in his career:
"They [the producers] know what they want... usually has something to do with branding ...something they made before, or a ride at Disneyland, or something."

Complementing this release with the typical extra features are two additional short-film transfers directed respectively by writer and director team Gloria Katz and Huyck.