__



Saturday 22 March 2014

Google Glass Can Bring Unwelcomed Attention

Seeing is believing. And believing is seeing whatever you want. Since when is it a crime to believe? Internet denizens unite! There's a new tyranny in town, and it's called The Invasion of Irony.

"I literally ended up saying, 'I can't believe this,' over and over again the whole night. I just... it was the only thing that could come out of my mouth. It was the weirdest event."

Leaving aside how weird it can be literally to end up saying stuff, hearing a repetitious loop of the explicit expression of dissociative disbelief run roughshod over one's own breath has got to be downright disconcerting.

The event in question concerns the here-throughout-quoted social-media consultant's night on the town, and how other patrons in a bar she was visiting stole her innocence. At least temporarily.

You see, she was the target of negative attention simply because of her choice of eye-wear. Why people might feel animosity towards someone because of their glasses is a mystery.

"And at that point I turned on the video, on Glass. So I started recording them."

Fortunately, her glasses just happened to be able to record the harassment. What is not pointed out in the story, but is evident from the video footage below, is how everyone just keeps staring at the victim. You'd think she was handicapped, or something. More creepy, though, is how they continually invade her personal space.

"They were trying to shield themselves as if I was recording them. And I wasn't even... you know, it wasn't on, I wasn't using it. You know, they clearly didn't understand it. They didn't know how it worked."

Clearly, she is either telling the story out of sequence, or the news outlet edited it so. Unfortunately, there is no video available of before she started recording.

"I'm glad, though, that I can hopefully help bring and shed some light on the fact that this is a great technology that can be used to prevent these types of incidents."

Just as soon as everyone understands that you aren't recording them until you are.

"Ninety-five percent of the time my experience is 180 degrees different... Whatever fear that people might have about them is usually diminished once they actually try them on."

What most people really want to do is direct.