__



Wednesday 3 November 2021

Ships in the Night

The clues to the cultivation of my mashing these two vocal melodies are down diary by three and four entries.
 
 
For the underacquainted: Kate's 'ship with The Trio Bulgarka came via a tape her brother Paddy'd played. Mine, then, came less directly along the same course, requiring the stop in The Sensual World and culminating in the question "Why Should I Love You?" four years later.
 
Somewhere in between my immersion in the former trio of tracks, before I ever had a chance to put on The Red Shoes, I managed to find The Forest is Crying by the trio in a Chicago record store. It's a collection that gave me just what I didn't know I was looking for.
 
I feel fortunate that all this came at a time when listening from beginning to end had not been thrown overboard, music as a series of waves that wash over you from the warmth of the deck. Were I to've tried to bring anyone else in this 'ship, it'd've been via "Raditze Le", one of the few titles without an English translation to rely on. With these words my go-to translator goes out of whack, calling it everything from just "Mr" or "Joy", right down to, oddly enough, "Joan of Arc".
 
Anyway, over these many years that have come to an era of NOT listening to an album from beginning to end, there are a few whose work will always elicit a return to the former mode. In 2005, Aerial was one. Slicing out and eating only one of the pieces that make up A Sky of Honey wouldn't quite be like only listening to a chorus or verse of your favorite song, but I don't have a better analogy.
 
My jukebox project, a fantasy come to fruition after so many thousands of units of spacetime, at least one of the highest digital quality I'll ever have, does not preclude using the full album listening mode, even if it does mean, more often than not, being the equivalent of my own radio. The equivalent of being my own radio brings radio reminiscence in line with all the sounds that've been tried and true, if not all I'll ever look for.
 
It's not so turbulent when a piece compiled of the album era art emerges randomly in the course. In fact, it is down to random navigation that it was not until relatively recently that I tuned in to the phrasing of Stoyanka Boneva on "Sluntse Zaide" (At Sunset) as possible inspiration for Kate's on "Nocturn".